- Posted by admin
- On May 26, 2020
Damaged SD card is a very frustrating issue as it can occur without any early signs. More importantly, all your essential files and folders that mean a lot to you will become inaccessible. You may try to open the content of the SD card on your computer only to receive the message stating ‘not accessible.’ You may also be responded with an error message stating that the SD card is corrupted or is damaged and unreadable. However, this error is fixable and you can recover the lost files. Check out this article and learn the signs when your SD card is corrupted and the ways to fix damaged SD card.
Check Out the Symptoms of a Corrupted SD Card
There are seven cardinal signs of a damaged SD card.
- When a black screen appears accompanied by an error message ‘SD card is not accessible.’ This generally means that the file or the contents of the directory are unreadable.
- Unaccessible photo symbol which means that the pictures on your SD card are absent.
- If an exclamation mark is present on the folder symbol, it means that the folders in the SD card are either inaccessible or missing. You will also receive an error message ‘Read / Write error on SD card’ which refers to the fact that it cannot read from the device.
- When you get an exclamation mark on the memory card symbol, it means that while you are trying to access the photos and videos which are stored on the SD card, there is an issue.
- If a lock sign appears on the memory card, then it means that the contents of the SD card are locked, and while you can see the contents, you will not be permitted to copy the contents. Instead, you will receive an error message ‘write-protected.’
- Other symptoms that demand your attention to fix damaged SD card are a no entry sign on SD card and a cross sign on the card. While the latter means you will not be granted any permission to add, delete, copy or save anything on the card, the first one represents that your memory card will be empty without any contents and in turn, you will be getting the message ‘SD card is not formatted.’
Why Do You Need to Fix Damaged SD Card?
Several reasons are to be blamed for a corrupt SD card which may lead you to find a solution to your question “how to fix SD card damage.”
- Any kind of visible damage to the memory card
- The file system of the SD card got damaged
- If you have taken out the micro SD card from a device at the time of file transfer
- Trying to use the same memory card in multiple devices
- Inappropriate ejection of the memory card
- Due to the presence of a virus or malware.
6 Efficient Ways to Fix Damaged SD Card
Let us take a look into the six useful fixes that are bound to answer how to repair damaged SD card.
Fix 1: Attach Your SD Memory Card to Other Machines
Attach the SD card in your system to the computer and see if the problem is still present or not. Many times, there arises a number of compatibility issues which will prevent your computer from recognizing the external storage card. You can connect your memory card with the system through the medium of a card reader. Also, do not forget to connect the SD card with the smartphone and check if you can fix damaged SD card.
Fix 2: Using Command Prompt to Fix Damaged SD Card
Insert the affected card into the card reader. Then, attach the card reader to the system. Now, click on the Start menu and then choose the Computer option. Find out the SD card underneath the Devices with Removal Storage and remember the drive that you have assigned.
After that, click on the Start button and then enter the command cmd in the search field. Now, right-click on the cmd icon and select the option ‘Run as administrator’ from the drop-down box.
A command window opens up, and you need to type chkdsk in there followed by the drive letter. Next, hit Enter. As soon as you hit Enter, the chkdsk will check for errors and fix them accordingly.
Follow the on-screen instructions and messages and overcome the issue in no time. Finally, check for the drive letter and examine if the files are recovered or not.
Fix 3: Provide A New Drive to the Unreadable Card
Attach your SD card with the card reader, and if you find that the system is not assigning a new drive letter, then it means that the card is unreadable. In that case, you need to provide a new drive letter to the card connected to your system through your Operating System settings.
Fix 4: Erase All Contents from the SD Card to Fix Damaged SD Card
A situation may arise when you can read all the contents in your SD card but cannot save them. If you are a victim of such an issue, then it confirms that your card is probably in write protected mode. You can unlock the write protection switch and then save the files.
If somehow, this procedure does not work out for you, then there is a high chance that either your files are missing or have become inaccessible. In that case, you need to carry out full formatting and remove everything from the SD card to fix damaged SD card. However, do not forget to copy all the files and store them somewhere else before formatting the memory card. Otherwise, you can choose to use the disk diagnostic tool that comes pre-installed on your system. Check if this gives you an idea about how to fix damaged SD card.
Surely, this article will help you all the way in getting rid of the SD card issues. Nevertheless, if you have any queries regarding how to fix damaged SD card, never hesitate to get in touch with us by writing in the comment section below.