- Posted by Haroun Arif
- On November 30, 2019
Real and Simple Tips for All House Owners
The sofa is a cozy upholstered seat where people prefer to rest and spend most of their time. You too must be having a sofa at your home where you might feel comfortable to relax at your leisure.
But, cleaning sofa upholstery can seem to be hectic especially after working throughout the whole day. Moreover, some people feel reluctant to do any type of cleaning work on their own. But, dust and unwanted particles are bound to accumulate from time to time and degrade the look of your sofa. Thus, cleaning becomes mandatory at least once a month.
Now, the rate of cleaning depends on how much you are using your sofa. You can even keep your sofa clean by using it in a bit carefully or covering it with a beautiful plastic or something else. Fabric sofas give more comfort and at the same time much more difficult to clean. It is also not affordable to hire a professional for sofa cleaning in Dubai. Then why not try to do the work by yourself. Here is a piece of information on how to make your sofa hygienic and spotless. We can assure you that the entire process won’t take much of your time or effort. So, let’s focus on the main part and begin our work.
See How to Clean Sofa Upholstery Like a Professional:
Have your couch got a stain, then check out the tricks of making it speckless.
Check the Label
Whenever you are about to clean any upholstery, check the label attached to it. The label can contain special rules and suggestions for cleaning your sofa. Check whether a specialist cleaning kit is available on your sofa or not. We have listed down the general cleaning codes for sofas:
- “W”: It’s okay to use water for cleaning.
- “S” or “P”: Only use a solvent-based cleaner on fabric (dry-clean only).
- “SW”: Either water or a solvent cleaner is safe to use. Steam is another safe option to use.
- “X”: Only a vacuum is suitable. Make sure that the sofa is professionally cleaned.
Prepare Your Sofa
Arrange a vacuum cleaner(with brush/crevice attachment), baking soda, carpet cleaner, and a damp cloth. However, a carpet cleaner is optional. Now, go by the following steps and do as directed:
- Remove cushions or anything else from your sofa and make it completely empty.
- Hook the brush attachment to the vacuum cleaner and use a gentle sweeping motion to collect crumbs or dirt.
- Use the crevice attachment and brush to clean along the edges of your upholstery.
- Sprinkle one to two tablespoon of baking soda over every seat of your sofa and leave it for about 20 minutes.
- In case you have a fabric sofa, then mix the baking soda with the carpet cleaner and spread it over the whole sofa.
- Now use a vacuum cleaner or a damp cloth to remove the baking soda.
Note: Don’t use colored towels or sponges on the fabric sofa otherwise, the dye might alter the color of your sofa.
Start Spot Cleaning
After removing the dirt and grime, check for spots or stains on your sofa. A wet cloth is sufficient to remove spots or stains from a leather sofa. Whereas, you need to spot clean superficial marks or stains from a fabric sofa as well. We have broken down the process in steps for your convenience.
- Fill a measuring jug with washing up liquid and warm water in the 1:4 ratio.
- Beak the mixture very well to create a thick spreadable foam.
- Use a soft bristle brush to gently rub the foam over the stains on your sofa.
- The foam will gradually collect the dirt and stain.
- Then, get a spoon a spatula to remove the dirty foam from your sofa.
- Damp a clean white cloth and wipe away the leftover stains.
Tips: For preventive measures, apply this spot cleaning on a hidden area of your sofa.
Remove Tough Stains
If your sofa stains don’t get removed with spot cleaning, then you must use harder cleaning materials. Therefore, arrange for white vinegar, cold water, washing-up liquid, tepid water, and microfibre cloth. Then, make a mixture of water and vinegar and apply it over the stubborn stains. Wait for a few minutes and wipe away the mixture with a microfibre cloth. Get a container and mix washing up liquid with tepid water in it. Make sure that you are not using too much water or else, the stains will remain behind and the fabric will shrink afterward. Rub mixture over your clean sofa and leave it to dry naturally. Once the sofa has dried up, it will start shining as before.
Note: It is easier to remove sofa stains when they are still fresh. So, if your sofa ever gets a stain, then try to act first to make your sofa stain-free.
Cleaning the sofa upholstery is necessary to make it look and smell good. You will get into an embarrassing situation if suddenly a guest visits your home and see your untidy sofa. Moreover, you yourself won’t feel it good to sit or sleep on your sofa. Thus, you must always keep your upholstery in a usable condition. Sofa cleaning Dubai can be made simpler with a fabric sanitizing spray. But, all of them are not safe to use without professional recommendations. If it still seems difficult, then go for a sofa cleaning service in Dubai.