- Posted by Haroun Arif
- On February 21, 2020
MacBook is the most innovative and advanced range of laptops from the Apple brand. These devices have been designed with high-end specifications to provide its users an amazing experience. Being an electronic device, it is normal that it becomes heated after being used for a long period. But if your MacBook continues to overheat, then this can be quite problematic. If MacBook Air overheating occurs, there can be numerous possible reasons for that. Let’s discuss the reasons which are causing the MacBook overheating problems and also learn how to resolve it easily.
Know the probable causes of MacBook overheating:
If you MacBook overheats very often, it can be due to any of the causes listed below:
- Presence of malware in your MacBook- Though the MacBook devices are integrated with security protection against viruses and malware, it is still not perfect. Because there are numerous phishing scam softwares which are targeting Mac users by redirecting to fake websites. Even these malware can cause damage to your system resources and can lead your system to overheat.
- Third-party apps- There are some third-party apps which are either caught in a loop or poorly developed, and it can drain CPU resources as well as battery power. Thus, these apps are responsible for MacBook overheating.
- Softer surfaces or dust and dirt- If you place your MacBook on a softer surface like a pillow or something like that, there might be inadequate air circulation under the device, which makes your MacBook hotter. Even sometimes, dust and dirt get accumulated in the fans and vents, which makes it warmer.
- Web pages with Flash Ads- There are certain web pages on some websites which contain a lot of Flash Ads and video contents. This is one of the most annoying parts as these Ads autoplay and use up more system resources than you think.
- Fake MacBook charger- Any normal MacBook charger is inclusive of three parts namely MagSafe Power Adapter, AC power cord, and MagSafe connector. But sometimes, if you have purchased any fake charger for MacBook, it might cause the overheating problem.
- Using a fan control software for changing the speed of MacBook’s fan
- Spotlight indexing
Advanced fixes for your MacBook overheating issues:
If you are encountering the MacBook overheating issue frequently and are looking for MacBook Pro overheating fix, then before visiting a repair center, apply the solutions provided below. But keep in mind that these solutions will only work when your MacBook is still operational. Follow the methods one by one and if you have already diagnosed the issues previously, you can follow the exact step required for troubleshooting this problem in your MacBook.
• Remove the Malware
If your MacBook is affected with any spyware or malware, you need to remove it at the earliest. But it’s not that easy manually because then, you have to review each app and file stored in your MacBook, which is quite unrealistic and time-consuming. Therefore, the best option to remove Malware is by using Mac antivirus software like Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac.
• Use Activity Monitor to pinpoint the culprit
On MacOS, there is a built-in utility known as Activity Monitor which shows the processes running on your MacBook to give the users a basic idea about how their Mac device’s activity and performance is affected. You can do this by opening the utility through Applications> Utilities> Activity Monitor. There is another way of launching this app by doing a quick Spotlight search.
Let’s take an instance on how it works. Suppose, if you want to know the responsible factor behind MacBook overheating, you need to simply click on the CPU column. It will sort out all the apps and processes and will give you the exact percentage of the apps which is causing overheating in the system. As soon as you find the culprit, you need to double-click on it and hit “Quit.”
• Adjust your MacBook location
If you are troubled with MacBook Pro overheating 2017, then the easiest way to resolve it is by placing it on a stable work surface and at the same time, ensure that there is enough air circulation so that the heat produced by your MacBook Pro can easily get dissipated. Apart from this, you can also get a laptop stand for elevating its position so that it can cool off better.
• Block the Flash Ads
If Flash Ads is causing the issue, then you should block it by using an effective plugin such as Adblock Plus, which works best with almost all major web browsers like Chrome, Safari and more. An additional perk of using this plugin is that it also optimizes the performance and speed of your MacBook.
• Wait until the completion of Indexing
It is quite unfortunate that there is no procedure to stop the indexing process of Spotlight once it starts. And it might take several hours, depending upon the usage of hard drive and other factors. But if there is any files or folders which contain sensitive data and you really don’t want to index them, you can prevent it via Spotlight.
• Clean fans and vents by removing dust
By using a little brush, you can remove the dust and dirt from the fan and vents of your MacBook. You can also try compressed air to remove the dirt and dust but you should be more careful regarding this as it might damage your MacBook’s components. But the best way to do it is by opening it up and cleaning its internal components like CPU and fans, but it requires time, skill and the right tools to do this.
• Reset SMC on your MacBook Pro device to fix MacBook overheating
Resetting SMC is quite easy; you just need to shut down your MacBook Pro and put your Mac device in charge mode by plugging in the power adapter. After this, press Shift + Control + Option in your keyboard along with the power button. Wait for a few seconds and then release the keys and turn on your MacBook Pro.
• Uninstall the fan speed software or apps
If you want to remove any apps in your MacBook, it’s quite simple. You just need to drag and drop the app to the Trash and empty the trash. Even in some cases, you might have to clean its associated files manually. Another option which allows you to do so this is by using Clean My Mac3 as the Uninstaller feature.
• Handle your MacBook with care
You can check the Apple logo> About this Mac> System Report to know the hardware configuration of your device, especially Storage, Memory and Graphics and accordingly, use it. It is also advised not to use too many apps at a time and turn off the fancy animations, which might tax precious system resources.
Overheating issues are not at all good for your MacBook as it might damage the internal components of your laptop. So, as soon as you come across these issues in your MacBook, follow this helpful troubleshooting guide to resolve the MacBook overheating problem or contact MacBook Repair Dubai Professionals.